Universal Mud Flaps
Universal mud flaps are not designed for a specific year, make, or vehicle model. They feature particular dimensions; based on them, you can see whether they will fit your vehicle. There are so many universal mud flaps, so when it comes to picking just one set for your car, truck, or SUV, it may be hard to pick just one set.
We are here to help you better understand what types and kinds of universal mud flaps are available on the market, the best materials, and what to consider when buying.
Types & Kinds
There are three main types of universal mud flaps:
Let us see what they are about and what is so particular about every mud flap type.
Fender-mounted mud flaps.
As you see, these mud flaps differ based on the type of installation. You can find fender-mounted splash guards for any car, truck, or SUV. Just pay attention to the dimensions. As a rule, they are mentioned in the product description.
Fender-mounted mud flaps are installed on the fender just behind the wheel. Usually, they come with all the necessary installation hardware. Installation is simple: you must bolt your mud flaps to the fender. However, sometimes, you must drill an extra hole for the mud flap.
Most popular fender-mounted mud flaps
Rally Armor Universal Mud Flaps
Features & Specs
- manufacturer’s part number: MF12-BAS-BLK;
- Four splash guards included (2 front, two rear);
- hardware and brackets are included;
- dimensions: 15’’ (height) 12.5’’ (width);
- made in the USA.
- no drilling is required;
- available in black with black, red, or blue logo;
- they are flexible enough;
- easy cutting with wire cutters if needed;
- Here are the things you need for installation: a pen, ruler (for measuring), self-tap screws, and rubber washers.
Hitch-mounted mud flaps
They are also universal and differ based on the hitch receiver size they work with. You will see the hitch receiver size noted in the product description, as well as the size of the mud flaps. You can select the product that will fit your specific vehicle based on these characteristics.
Hitch-mounted mud flaps are extremely popular among truck and semi-truck owners due to the specs of their construction. Installation of these mud flaps is also simple and requires no extra modifications. Besides, you can remove these mud flaps when you do not need them and install them again. This feature is excellent for those who often tow a boat or a trailer and need larger mud flaps from time to time.
Most popular hitch-mounted mud flaps
Luverne tow guard for 2’’, 2 ½’’ and 3’’ hitch receivers
Features & Specs
- textured heavy-duty rubber;
- steed frame with black powder coat finish;
- ⅜’’ thick rubber;
- comes factory-assembled for easier installation;
- mounts to the receiver tube using a U-bolt;
- can be easily removed when needed;
- universal width: 72’’ (can be trimmed for fit);
- available in 2 lengths for trucks and SUVs that feature different ride heights;
- made in the USA;
- limited lifetime warranty.
- a ball mount is not included;
- if you have dual exhaust, you will need to trim out 4’’ holes in rubber;
- may not fit certain weight distribution shanks;
- may not accommodate certain adjustable ball mount shanks.
Removable mud flaps
They feature a quick-release system that allows them to be installed within seconds by the pull of a pin. Each removable universal mud flap has a unique bracket with multiple holes, allowing for numerous types of installations.
Besides, such mud flaps typically have a steel hanger that can be cut to match multiple tire and wheel offsets. Removable mud flaps are popular among truck, Jeep, and SUV owners.
Most popular removable mud flaps
Aries Removable Mud Flaps
Features & Specs
- You can mount them on any Jeep, truck, or SUV with a universal bracket.
- Rubber is ⅜’’ thick.
- pull-pin release system;
- no-drill fit for the Jeep Wrangler JK;
- universal brackets included;
- sold in pairs with installation hardware included.
- 22’’ hanger can be cut to match different tire offsets;
- rubber withstands temperature changes and sheds water;
- brackets are powder-coated steel.
Our team is anxious to share information about aftermarket mud flap systems for cars and trucks.
We know that there are so many details and things people need to know before buying a set of mud flaps for their vehicles, so we have decided to share all the info in one place.